Who We Are
What We Do
Yogi Kwong Engineers was established in April 2005 by David R. Yogi, Jr., P.E. and James K.P. Kwong, Ph.D., P.E. We are a geotechnical engineering firm specializing in geotechnical engineering, construction management, engineering geology, and expert witness consultation.
Our engineers have completed over 150 projects totaling nearly $1 billion in construction cost ranging from major structures, state-of-the-art trenchless pipeline projects, to providing construction management services to owners and civil engineering clients.
Soil and Rock Testing Laboratory
Our soil and rock testing laboratory is accredited as a Soils and Aggregate Testing Laboratory by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials and validated by the U.S. Department of Army Corps of Engineers. Listed below are some of the accredited testing services we provide.
- Atterberg Limits
- Organic Content
- Specific Gravity
- Unconfined Compressive Strength
- Triaxial Shear Strength
- Direct Shear Strength
Established in 2009, YK Drilling, LLC (YKD) provides geotechnical drilling and sampling throughout the State of Hawaii and Guam. YKD has completed over 100 drilling projects with sampling depths ranging from 5 feet to 720 feet deep in basalt rock.
YKD has performed many geotechnical explorations on State of Hawaii Department of Transportation and City and County of Honolulu right-of-ways, and in difficult access areas.
- 2009 Simco 2400SK Drill mounted on a 4×4 Ford F550 truck
- 2011 Mobile Drill B-54 mounted on a Ford F650 truck
- 2011 Boart Longyear LF70 Diamond Core Fly Drill
- 2013 Explo 220MPR Aluminum Drill
Soil and Rock Samplers
- Standard Penetration Test Split Spoon
- Dames & Moore Split Spoon Ring
- Modified California Spoon Ring
- N-Size Core Barrel
- Double and Triple Tube H- and P-Size Wireline Coring System
- Geotechnical Drilling
- Groundwater Monitoring Well Installation and Development
- Inclinometer Casing Installation
- Permeability Testing
- Single or Double Inflatable Packer Testing
- Falling Head Test
- Constant Head Test
- Slug Test
- Controlled Aquifer Pump Test
- Cone Penetration Test